Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Grace based parenting

I am currently reading this book.  I hope to talk about it further as I finish it.  But, the biggest thing I have learned so far is a change in how I talk to other parents about what they are doing with their kids.  What works for one family, does not always work for another family.

As a Christian mother and leader in the church, when I am helping people figure out how to be the best parent they can be, what works for my family may not work for another person's family.  There isn't a formula about what's right and wrong as far as family activities, hobbies, and schedules.

So, how do I balance my convictions about homeschooling, Godly limits on behavior, attachment, healthy eating, and staying home with my children?  The answer is in the question.  These are MY convictions that God has brought ME to.  Another mother's convictions may be different than mine and there is nothing wrong with that.  Every family has its own unique culture and it is important for me to honor that.  There is not one right way to raise a family.

As I continue to read this book, I hope to post more about what God is showing me and the effects it will have on my family.

No comments:

Post a Comment